Our garden did not do as well as last year. The drought followed by torrential rains made for many problems. This week however, I found my kitchen counter overflowing with tomatoes that were ripening faster than I could use them.
Yesterday I canned 8 pints of salsa and today I made a garden fresh pasta sauce.
The family was pretty happy with the flavor, so I thought I’d share the recipe…
1) Blanch 8-10 tomatoes, remove skins and squeeze out excess liquid. Simmer on medium heat, stirring frequently to keep from sticking.
2) Dice an onion and 3 cloves of fresh garlic.
3) Saute onion and garlic in 1 Tbsp of olive oil. Makes the house smell yummy!
4) Add 1 Cup of diced green pepper. Saute then add to tomatoes.
5) Add 1 Tbsp fresh basil and 1/2 Tbsp fresh oregano.
6) Season with 1 Tbsp sugar, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper.
Simmer to desired thickness and enjoy!